Saturday, November 9, 2013

Students Are The Real Teachers ... Part 2

He wore the same pair of navy blue pants with the same white button up shirt every single day.  He had worn out black dress shoes; I don’t recall him having a jacket for the winter months.  He was obviously poor.  His accent was thick; English was his second language.  But his smile was one in a million. Every day he had the biggest, brightest smile. He was genuinely cheerful - more than cheery – he was joyful - brimming full of joy, as if he had the elixir to life itself.  It was real, genuine, true – beyond “happiness” – the only word to describe it is JOY. He seemed delighted just to be ALIVE.

I couldn’t understand it.  At 17, an age where most kids would do anything to fit in – he didn’t seem to care.  He was obviously very poor, struggling to make the grade in my class; his graduation status was questionable; college was out of the question due to his grades and financial state. He was a nice guy, friendly to everyone in class, but seemed to not have any really close friends – and yet …. and yet … he acted like he had just won the lottery. Every. Single. Day. 

I finally asked him, “Juan, WHY are you so happy?”

His enthusiastic response was quick and surprising:  

“Because Mrs. MacKenzie … I know Jesus. Do you know Jesus?”

My affirmative answer only delighted him more.  He was SO excited to tell me his story:

You see, Juan was a survivor.  At age 14, he had tried to commit suicide by drinking a bottle of bleach.  That was his second suicide attempt. Several months earlier he had swallowed pills but was found out and sent to the hospital where he had had his stomach pumped. This time, the bleach burned all of his insides - esophagas, stomach lining, intestines - tremendously. He was in the hospital for months, and almost died as a result of the internal damage he had done. Even now, several years later, he still had intestinal issues.  But, as a result of this incident, his aunt (I believe) started talking to him about God.  Juan listened and found the Hope he had been seeking.   He wanted to become a preacher after graduation. 

I have never been so shocked and moved as I was by this student: a boy who seemed to have nothing in terms of worldly possessions, yet truly had everything he had ever desired.   

Every day when he left class he bade me farewell with the words: “God bless you Mrs. MacKenzie” -  He had no idea that HE was my blessing.  Juan gave me encouragement in a year when I was feeling burned out, questioning why I was stuck living my “fall back plan”, and wondering if what I did even mattered or made a difference. 

I have no idea what happened to Juan. He did graduate. But he never came back to visit me, and I doubt he had the financial means to keep in contact via the Internet (or other sources). But he is one student who I will NEVER forget, and who I wonder about.


His life’s story  – his smile, his authentic JOY for living – caused me to realize that every student has a "back story" – and yes, some are more shocking than others, but the cliche is true for a reason: you really can't "judge a book by its cover." Some of these kids I teach have seen more, and done more than I could possibly imagine. 

Juan's life challenged me – and STILL challenges me – to daily and authentically live out my faith.  He had no idea how much of a blessing he was to me – and still is – and I can only hope that likewise, my life impacts others.

No comments:

Post a Comment