Saturday, October 12, 2013

True Confessions: My Most Embarrassing Moment Teaching

You might think it would be the time I inadvertently wrote a sexual reference on the board for all to read whilst explaining how various words are spelled (or not) phonetically. To make matters worse, I didn’t even realize what I had written until well after the class (being too involved in my instruction) ….  the fact that just about every boy in the room was snickering should have been my first clue.  17 year old hormonal boys have one thing on the frontal lobe of their brains - and it isn’t how to spell words correctly

Or maybe it was the time that a student made sexual innuendos the entire class period - innuendos that I didn’t realize or understand  (yes, I am THAT naïve). In fact, I had no idea what he was talking about or referring to until I got home and asked my husband why that student kept saying that word over and over in class… 

You could think that it was the day that the students kept referencing drugs and I had no clue. Literally. No clue. 

Maybe the time my top button of my button down shirt popped open for only God knows how long (and I was in the front of the class) before a female student whispering pointed it out to me?  Nope.

As cringe inducing as those moments in my teaching career are, they were NOT the most embarrassing.

The most embarrassing moment of my teaching career was the time I met The Man, The Myth, The Legend:  Alex Rodriguez.



Yes. A-Rod. THE Alex Rodriguez of the Yankees baseball club. Previously of the Texas Rangers. Previously of the Seattle Mariners.  The $250 million dollar man.   THAT A-Rod.

I met him.  Shook his hand. TWICE.

You see, I had been crushing on Alex Rodriguez since my early college days when he first burst onto the baseball scene.  Being only a year older than me, and the fact that I was (and still am) an avid sports fan, I paid attention to the single (“eligible”??) young, good looking, sports figures.   The $275 million helped  a bit... And the piercing blue eyes… The natural tan… The tall athletic build …

So I had drooled after this man, followed his career for YEARS. YEARS before I got hired to teach at his high school alma mater.  By this time I was a happily married woman. The fact that he was still single went largely unnoticed by me … I mean, I was happy he was dating a teacher (his priorities were in the right place, obviously).  

My first year teaching there, he dropped by the high school a few times to visit old teachers, but, much to my disappointment, I never saw him.   Of course, with a few key questions, the students had figured out my “celebrity crush,” which, naturally, they found highly entertaining.

So there I was, hugely pregnant with my first baby (at least, in my mind I was huge. Looking back, I couldn’t have been more than 5 or 6 months along in a pregnancy in which I hardly gained any weight) … So there I was … FEELING hugely pregnant ... greasy with excess oils in my already oily-prone skin from excess of hormones (thanks pregnancy), hot (again, thanks pregnancy hormones) and in the last period of an average school day, when a knock on the door interrupted the class.   Like a scene from my best dream and worst nightmare, Alex Rodriguez walked in, followed closely by the Superintendent of the school.

I blushed to a slight shade of deep purple. It was all the students could do to not break out into laughter.  To their credit, they held it in and acted as cool as 17 year olds who-know-their-teacher- is-freaking-out could.  A-Rod was there to pitch some basketball  tournament he was involved in at the school for his Foundation.  He was stopping in to various classes to encourage the students to come out and play.

He shook my hand, was friendly, extremely polite and pleasant.  And all I could focus on was the fact that #1. His clothes were mismatched (Canary Yellow pants and a Hot Pink shirt … I remember thinking: “Well I guess $275 million dollars doesn’t equal fashion sense”) and #2. He was a LOT taller and broader than I had ever imagined and #3. His eyes really WERE that shade of blue/green.

I felt faint. I was dizzy.  I started to sweat profusely. (I’m sure it was only the pregnancy hormones) I kept wondering, on a scale of 1-10 just how unprofessional would it be to ask if I could get a picture with him?  I probably would have asked for one, except for the fact that my Superintendent was still there, standing by the door, smiling at her prodigy.  (Because of which, I decided a photo op with my college –era crush just wasn’t worth my job … a decision I regret to this day)

All told, he was in my class for about 5 minutes. It felt like 5 hours. 

When the door shut as they left, the class literally ERUPTED in laughter that could have been heard on the moon.  I have no doubt A-Rod knew what the deal was.  Of course, I turned an even deeper shade of purple. I was beyond red.  I can only be thankful that this event occurred in the pre-Smart Phone Era as I am 100% sure my reaction would have ended up on Youtube.

I never saw him in person again. I’m told if I had gone to the basketball tournament I would have been able to see him, to take pictures, to possibly regain some of the dignity I had lost during his class visit.  But… I didn’t.  I didn’t have the nerve to face him again.   

A-Rod in the high school glory days

A-Rod today on the big stage in the Big Apple
















No comments:

Post a Comment