Saturday, January 4, 2014

Belated Thanks

He went quietly; after wavering in his decision for over a year, finally one afternoon towards the end of the school year, he just decided it was time to retire.   His announcement was made without fanfare, made only to the Administration, which must be the only way explain how after 37 years of service, he slipped through the cracks of recognition of his service to the school and the community.  37 years – his entire working life – for which he received in thanks: a passing mention at a board meeting and a passing mention at the first staff meeting of the following year. No fake Rolex watch, no email sent to the staff, no announcement in the local paper, no retirement party the last day of school, not even a hastily thrown together cake at break in the teacher’s lounge for him.  37 years – as long as I have been alive – he worked at Brawley Union High School, for the last 8, I was privileged to work with him.

Wrestling Hall of Fame photo
In true Smith fashion, he left without expecting pomp and circumstance. Despite the moments of bluster and fuss throughout those 37 years, he ended them quietly, humbly.  He must have thought it was worth the effort, because for the past 37 years, he did all he could to make it a better place to be both for the students and the teachers.  
With one of his undefeated football teams

When he was passed over for the Head Varsity Football Coach position, he took the lower paid, less prestigious Junior Varsity coach position – and promptly led those kids to an undefeated season - a feat he accomplished more than once with multiple teams.  He continued to coach in whatever capacity needed – Freshmen coach, or as an Assistant – he gave his all no matter the title.

He revived the Wrestling program - taking the team from a handful of kids who wanted to Wrestle, to a CIF Championship team –  his was the first CIF championship winning team starting the current 12 consecutive year winning streak.  He not only coached the current coach as a wrestler, but coached him up on how to coach. He is a California Hall of Fame Wrestling Coach - winning recognition for his wins, his teams' achievements as well as his lifetime of service.

As a Smith, he was a political outsider (being a Conservative and a Contrarian, much like being a Teacher, is in our DNA), never afraid to speak out on issues, the voice in the desert crying out for common sense; he was the one who said what others were thinking but were either afraid, or not sure how to say it.  His political ideals and staunch principles may have made him unpopular with some, but he was respected for having the courage to speak his mind. 

With his sons, three of whom are teachers
Like to play Chess? He started a school chess club. Want to learn ballroom dancing? Take his PE class. Want to serve in the community? He was a Boy Scout Master for many years.  Need a ride home from practice? You could count on Coach Smith to not leave you stranded.  

When I was a student, his classroom was a lunch haven for an odd assortment of misfits, “cool kids,” athletes and anyone else looking to get out of the heat, or a place to just hang out.  His was a “come one, come all,” open door policy. 

After 37 years, he’d seen it all in the educational world, and whenever I have expressed frustration or given a passionate argument for different issues, his response is always the same: a gentle laugh and reminder that “there are worse places you could work.”  When I once asked him how he could have spent his lifetime in ONE place, in THIS particular place, he just smiled, sighed and reminded me, “Well, you have to spend those years working somewhere, and ... Brawley is a good place to work.”

He is who I reference when asked “which Smith” family I am from.  My response of “COACH Smith” will usually get me a smile and a story of when “he was my coach” or “he was my Science teacher,” or some other way he impacted the life of whoever it is in the community I happen to be talking to at the moment. It seems that EVERYONE has a story about Coach Smith. 


So, to Keith Smith, my uncle, my teacher, coach, mentor, and colleague, though it is long overdue, I thank you for your 37 years of dedication, for the sacrifice of time, of family life, energy, and passion, for spending your life giving to the students at Brawley Union High School, for caring about not just their test scores, but their characters, for working to create better students and citizens of this community.  Brawley Union High School just isn’t the same without you.

Behind every great man, is a great woman -
my Aunt Lynn and Uncle Keith in their younger years

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Laura, for taking the time to write this. I've read it over several times the past twenty-four hours and it brings tears to my eyes every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad was the type of teacher I can only hope to be! And, though I could have written so much more, THANKS needed to be said and should have been said earlier!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was lucky enough to have Coach Smith (which will forever be his name to me, or just "Coach") as a coach and family friend for many years growing up. Not to put other coaches down that I had throughout the years, but he portrayed the epitome of the ideal coach from every perspective imaginable - and consistently, year after year...while winning championships!

    Coach Smith had/has the uncanny ability to bring the best out of each individual on multiple levels, all while uniting everyone into one cohesive team fighting for a common goal, excellence - on and off the field. I can honestly say that I became a better athlete and person by training and learning under Coach Smith. I know many others would say the same. He pushed athletes to be better students and people off the 'field' just as much as he pushed them on the field.

    I learned my physical limits were just in my mind as I pushed through them in practice ("If you aren't throwing up in practice, you aren't working hard enough"), I learned what it meant to be a family with my teammates, I learned that hard work does pay off (CIF!!), I learned to hate the sight of a 'Dirty Jock' but then take a sense of pride and accomplishment from it after it was over, I learned that you can be intense/determined/and destroy a challenge all while being a good person. I learned how to grow as a person.

    As I go about my business today, I often look back at lessons I learned during that time of my life under Coach Smith and look to apply them now.

    Thank you Coach, for all that you gave of yourself to us over the years. It was not wasted and it lives on in us as we live our lives today. We are grateful. There will never truly be another 'Coach Smith'.

    (Class of '02, CIF wrestling champs, football champs, all-around force to be reckoned with)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so much repect for coach Smith. He was not only a wonderful teacher, coach. He was a wonderful mentor and feiend to all his players and students. My two sons were very fortunate to have coach Keith in there llife's. He will always have a special place in my heart as he.taught my son Jeff Thornton so much! Jeff loved and repected him so much. They spent many lunches together learning about foitball. His patients and love for the kids realky showed. My youngest son Josh was just as lucky as Jeff, as coach Keith was also hi football cosch and wrestling coach. So caring, patient and all around great guy. Congrats to 37 wonderful years you gave to buhs. You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really great tribute to your uncle. I had the privilege of working at the high school when both your uncle, aunt and dad were there. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete